Most of the pregnant women experience acidity during pregnancy .It is most common in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy but for some it can be present throughout pregnancy.
It is due to the changing levels of hormones which occur during pregnancy. This affects the muscles of the digestive tract and so the valve between the stomach and oesophagus relax.This allows the stomach acid to reflux into the esophagus so the patient complains of acidity.As the uterus enlarges in size so it pushes the acid upwards.
Prevention and treatment of heartburn during pregnancy
To decrease the acidity problem during pregnancy one should try the following-
- Small frequent meals instead of three whole meals
- One should avoid fried, spicy, oily or fatty food as this causes relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter and this increases the heartburn.
- Don’t lie down immediately after eating food.
- Wear loose fitting clothes
- Consult a doctor to prescribe you some antacid which are safe in pregnancy.
- Regular walk and light exercise is helpful in digestion of food.
For more information consult Dr Roshi Satija 9958722133
heartburnduringpregnancy #acidityduringfirsttrimesterinpregnancy #throatburningduringpregnanct #acidrefluxduringpregnancy #pregnancyheartburnrelief #doctornearme